Friday, July 20, 2012

Rainy Day Snacks for Movie Night

It is a dreary kinda day here in Ohio, so I thought I would post some things you can make with your kids and later use for snacks during a movie night.  The first thing that is super simple is:

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake ( I also made a vanilla one since I am not a chocolate lover)

These are the ingredients you will need:

4 T. flour              4 T.  sugar         2 T. cocoa  (Add these 3 ingredients to mug and mix well)

Add:   1 Egg and mix well.        Next add:  3 T. Milk  &  3 T. oil  (mix well)    Add  a splash of vanilla

Mix everything till well blended.  You can also add 3 T. of chocolate chips if desired  (I didn't desire :o)

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 2 1/2 minutes. 

The cake will rise over the top of the mug about halfway through, but don't be alarmed...it will go down.  You can kind of see in the picture through my microwave window.  (This was the vanilla cake)

Once it is done, you can eat right from mug or tip out onto a plate.  I tipped mine out because I am a frosting type of girl and wanted actual little cakes.  You can see in the picture that these are kind of tall.

Since these were taller I decided to cut each on in half and have four little cakes.

While these are cooling, you can mix up some frosting.  (You can also use canned frosting....but I LOVE homemade frosting much better.  For frosting I use these ingredients:  ( I forgot to add my vanilla to the pic..oops)
I never really measure stop...am horrible about it actually, but everything always turns out great!  I will try to guess my amounts to help you, but you can always add more or less powdered sugar to your satisfaction.

1 and a half Cups Powdered Sugar (maybe a little more  LOL)
About a third of a stick of margarine
maybe a 4th cup (if that of water)
2 big splashes vanilla

Once your cakes have cooled, let your kids frost and decorate.

A couple of other ideas I have are:

Biscuit Pizzas

For these I use a can of ready made biscuits, some pizza sauce and whatever toppings your kids would like to add.
Let them each flatten a biscuit ( you can have the each do one on a little piece of foil with their name written at the top in permanent marker...that way there is no fighting over whose pizza is whose)
Add sauce and toppings and put onto cookie sheet or pizza pan in the oven at 350 degrees for about 8 -10 minutes.


Homemade Applesauce

I make applesauce all the time and it is so fast and simple.  I don't cook my apples first, although you can and it will turn out just about the same.  With our preschoolers at school, we just cut up apples into tiny cubes, put them in a blender and add a little bit of water.  You can also add some cinnamon if you'd like.  Let kids take turn pushing the blender button.  You might have to stop and use a spoon to mix it during the process.  It is very easy and a fun, healthy snack.

Once you have all the snacks made that you want ( can add popcorn, chips, fruit, candy, etc)
Now it is time to set up a small concession stand before you start your movie.

Place all foods items on a table, give each child some loose change to purchase a ticket and their snacks for the night.  Remind them they might want to save some money for "Intermission" :o)

Once everyone has their snacks....settle in for the movie.  During "Intermission" to get their legs moving (while the lights are out).....blow up a couple balloons and put a Glow Stick inside each one before tying.  Let them play volleyball in the dark for a few minutes before restarting the movie.

Just a few ideas I had on this drizzling kinda day!  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Oops...forgot to add that I do put a little sugar in my applesauce (although you don't have to) LOL

    ReplyDelete